Abt 1736 - 1764 (~ 28 years)
Has 4 ancestors and more than 100 descendants in this family tree.
||Nimrod Ashby  |
|Relationship||with Francis Fox|
||29 Jun 1764
||near Furman's Fort, so. branch Potomac River, VA [2, 3]
||30 Aug 2000 |
- - Fought in French & Indian War.
- Commanded (1763) a detachment of militia on the frontier.
- In April 1763 he rec'd from the treasurer pay for himself & his men.
- 1764 - Ambushed & killed by Indians en route back to the Fort & robbed of this payment.
- This amount, 74 pounds, was paid out of his estate.
- This left his children "destitute of bread".
- Petition filed 18 Nov 1766 by Robert Asby, his father.
- 1764 - Estate appraised.
- Nimrod had advanced his own credit to procure uniforms & supplies for his men.
- Petition filed 18 Nov 1766 by Frances (Wright) Ashby, his widow.
- Justice of the Peace for Fauquier Co, VA 1 Dec 1762, renewed 26 May 1764.
- He & William Furman, a hunting companion, were killed by abt 20 Delaware Indians
REF: Dr. Justin M. Glenn, 2554 Marston Rd, Tallahassee, FL 32312 (authoring a work on the descendants of Col. John Washington): Frances Wright (b. 1742; m. [1st, on Nov. 30, 1759) Capt. Nimrod Ashby [commissioned justice of the peace of Fauqujer Co., Va., 12/1/1762; this commission was renewed on 5/26/1764. Sometime within the next few weeks both Ashby and his hunting companion, William Furman, were killed by a band of ca. 20 Delaware Indians when the two men were hunting near Furman's Fort on the South Branch of the Potomac. Fauqujer County Order Bk. 2:312 appointed a male guardian for his
"orphan" children on 6/28/1764... HAYDEN, 450-452, is apparently accurate, however, in indicating that Capt Nimrod Ashby's younger brother, John Ashby, was the greatgrandfather of the celebrated cavalry leader Gen. Turner Ashby, CSA]
- [S20] Washington Ancestry & Records of McClain, Johnson & Forty Other Colonial American Families, (Chart: The Ancestry of Mourning Adams Garner, pp 54-55, Vol I , , Repository: 3 volume set).
- [S727] Shenandoah Valley Pioneers, Cartmell, 75 (Reliability: 0).
- [S198] Genealogy & History, Washington, DC, Query 11586.